Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Nature Walk: "That's Pretty Neat"

The Saturday after the Royals game Kaci and I went for a "nature walk" in KC. Our nature walk consisted of walking on the sidewalk in metro KC. Not a whole lot of nature going on but we got in some good exercise. We used the same trail if you will that Drew and I do during the week. It's a good 2 mile walk and only takes about a half hour. Kaci wanted to take Dexter (Drew's yorkie) along with us and Drew was kind enough to let him go with us. Dex or "Mr. Tinkles" as Kaci sometimes refers to him was very happy to go along.  Kaci calls him Mr. Tinkles because he must mark everything! I must say after walking this week without Dex that it's just not the same. Walks are way more entertaining if you have a dog along with you. After the first half mile the dog has nothing left in the tank but still stops at every tree and telephone pole and hikes his leg. It was pretty warm Saturday so Dex didn't quite make it the full two miles on his own. We were at about half a mile when he strolled over to some shade and just plopped down and sat there panting so Kaci picked him up and carried him for a while. He was good to go after about 5 minutes of being carried. He went for about another half mile before he got tired again and laid down in the grass.  At 3/4 through our walk Dex was looking thirsty so I found a bird bath not too far off the sidewalk and got him some water.  He was very thankful for the water and was good to go afterwords. I'd like to know what the owners of the bird bath thought if they saw us..... Dex has little dog syndrome and likes to bark at other animals and sometimes people. As we walked the 2 miles with him we trained him a little to not bark as much. After the first mile he didn't bark at a single dog (we came pretty close to a few) or the man that we walked by on the sidewalk. Pretty good 15 minute training session I would say. You're welcome Drew, that will be $50. Here are some photos of the "Nature Walk"



Kaci and I on our Nature Walk


How Dexter got his nickname Mr. Tinkles from Kaci


Another pole peed on, let's move on....




Kaci and panting Dexter


Dexter taking the lead


Mile 1.5......Dexter was tired and hot


So Kaci picked him up and carried him..... 

And to finish this post off, here's a great video from youtube to encourage you to go out into nature because only there can you get all this neatness in one place.......  Nature Walk: "That's Pretty Neat"

1 comment:

  1. So, I must know. Did Zola get to take nature walks as fabulous as these?

    ReplyDelete